Monday, October 4, 2010

What's Your Definition of a Leader?

I was once asked this question, and it was the first time in my leadership career I had ever been asked.  I had never been asked that in any interview- trust me, ask it if you want a good thinking question- or even rhetorically. 

It began with a meeting I had to conduct, where I created a video based on a book I had read. I followed the video with a short You Tube video from Mark Sanborn, "You Don't Have to Hold a Title to be a Leader." (Strongly recommend it, if you're in leadership, or want to motivate others) The video tells of an example where a young girl gets hired and leads by example, who later becomes the Vice President of the company. 

At the end of the presentation, an agent came up to me, and asked for my opinion on leadership and its definition. Wow, can we say intangible?

Though my thoughts had to be more summed up in two or three sentences, than now- where I can go on and babble- it's still not easy to define.  My answer was a leader is anyone who helps, and motivates others to their goal, whatever that may be.

But see, that's just it: A leader can be many things.  A good leader, to me, should be a person who can motivate others, lead by example, inspires and guides, while handling the daily responsibilities of their title.

So then this got me to thinking, "Am I a leader, by my own definition?"  I'd like to think I motivate at least some.  Truth is, there's at least one I know I do. One of my agents sent me an email (the number one form of communication within the corporation) saying she appreciated my leadership, my ways of communicating criticism and overall motivation.  It also didn't hurt that her email came on one of those days where you wonder if you're doing anything right.

Sometimes, I know I don't always lead by example.  Sure, I'm at the top of my game on statistics and numbers. And you won't find anyone more organized than I am.  But my weaknesses? 

Ha.

I need to work on my stress level.
On my ability to leave work- at work.
Being less tenderhearted.
Or at least, on letting it show less.
Lengthing my temper fuse.

But I suppose it's nice to remember no one's perfect- no leader of the past or present has had a career completed free of bumps and road blocks.  This is where someone with eloquent words would say, there's always a chance to learn.

Luckily, there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment