Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Leaders lead by example, whether they intend to or not."

I hope this isn't true: Simply said, there are attributes of those in power I'd rather not learn from.  In our company, our job is to help members and help agents help those members.  I'm not an assistant who minds talking to members- irate or not.  But there are a few who won't if they can avoid it.  One in particular will refer the agent to anyone else willing to take it.  There's another who I have never once seen a take a call- PERIOD.

Another does their job, but it's not their job abilities that deter me, or better said, disgust me.  Its the moral ones.  I read a quote that said, "...if a person doesn't have moral integrity in their personal life, they don't have it at work," and I think it's true: Either you're moral or you're not.

I also think when someone displays so blantantly a lack of morals, values, and integrity, it gives me an even-further-lack of faith.  Now, don't get me wrong- I know we're all human and ergo we make mistakes. But a lack of values is a lifestyle when you make the mistakes over and over again. Sure, there are times when we as humans lack good judgment, but to me, its how yo respond to those times: Fix it. Bounce back... and not into the bed of a married man.

So how, in good conscience, can I look up to, model myself, or simply trust someone like this? And what do you do when that person is one you really did look up to and appreciate before the tainted revelation? What's the moral thing to do? Work like you don't know?

It's not my business, that much I know. So the decision I've made is to show no encouragement.  I mean really, no dramatic stream of conscious intended- but if a promise to God and the world means nothing to her, I can't say I put any faith in a promise to me, or anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment